Outside with the cuties
- 112 pages
- 17.3 x 24.3 cm
- offset printing
- all content in English and Portuguese
- limited edition of 700 copies
- published with Chili Com Carne
£13.00[go to shop]
Mariana Pita makes drawings, paintings, comics, music, and animation. She has been developing some incredible work in the last few years, followed by a small but enthusiastic group of people. Her comics may look cheerful and lighthearted at first sight but her characters and narratives are often quite deep and odd, sometimes even dark.
OUTSIDE WITH THE CUTIES is an attempt to present Mariana Pita's best work to a bigger audience. It collects comics produced from 2014 to 2017 originally published in various outlets as well as several unpublished works.
Reading Pita's work is like having one of those dreams where everything is totally normal and completely surreal at the same time. Secretive and sweet, the comics shift with uncertainty driven by the movement of the drawing. A mysterious force is at work! – Disa Wallander
Mariana Pita turns the ordinary into the extraordinary. Her stories are about small adventures and days at the beach where familiar situations and characters get mixed up with strange and unexpected details. “Outside with the Cuties” is like a dream that twists memories from past summers. – Joana Estrela
- Overall I am enchanted by Mariana Pita and her work. These comics are joyful and strange, like a flower blooming at night. As a work in translation Outside With The Cuties introduces English-speaking readers to a cartoonist whose work feels essential and timely; I recommend this initial collection to you wholeheartedly.
- Alex Hoffman (Sequential State)